Saturday, January 06, 2007

Barbara Delinsky ~ For My Daughters ~ Fiction
Betty Smith ~ A Tree Grows In Brooklyn ~ Fiction
Sheridan Morley ~ The Authorized Biography of John Gielgud ~Biography
L.E. Modesitt Jr. ~ The Shadow Sorceress ~ Fantasy
Yann Martel ~ Life of Pi ~ Fiction
New Year - 2007 ****************
Laurell K Hamilton ~ MaryJanice Davidson ~ Eileen WIlks ~ Rebecca York
Cravings ~ Short Stories - Supernatural Romance

Catching up on my book reading list. As you can see I've started my
list for 2007. I can't believe that I've been keeping this list running
since the year 2000. It's fun going back and seeing what books I read
6 or 7 years ago.

Of the above listed books, the one that I enjoyed most is an old
favourite that I have read many, many times over since I was a teenager.
That would be A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. What a
wonderful story. I originally read my mother's copy of the book, from
when she belonged to the Book of the Month Club back in the '50s.
When that copy disappeared during one of her cleaning purges I was
most upset. But then Book of the Month Club offered the book again
while I was a member back in the 90's, in hardcover and with the dust
cover art on the cover the same as on the old book from my Mom's time
with the club. I cherish this book, and I will most certainly be reading
it again, and again.

Yann Martel's book Life of Pi was very good too. Quite an interesting
premise. A teenage boy adrift in a lifeboat with an adult Bengal Tiger.
Quite a fascinating read. It got rave reviews when it first came out a few
years ago and it won some awards. I picked up my copy second hand at
a Humane Society book sale last summer. I'd been curious about it since
reading the reviews. I'm very glad that I read it.

I talked a bit about the book Cravings on my other blog, and also about
the John Gielgud biography. L.E. Modesitt Jr writes light fantasy which
provides entertainment, but I don't find myself getting emotionally
involved with his stories or his characters, as I do with say Jacqueline
Carey, or Diana Gabaldon's writing. But it's a series that I've been
following for 5 books now, so I keep at it. I enjoy Barbara Delinsky's books
although I've only been reading her for a few years, and mostly I pick up
her books on sale. Light reads as well but I do get more involved with her
characters, which I prefer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home