Friday, January 12, 2007



I love historical fiction. And so I've read many, many books
about that lovable (!!?) olde rascal Henry VIII over the years.
and almost as many about Anne Boleyn, and his numerous
other wives. Well, here's a slight departure from the norm.
This book is about Anne's sister Mary, who was Henry's
mistress before he took up with Anne.

Philippa Gregory has been writing for a number of years and
I've got about five books of hers which are not historical fiction.
But now she's got a series going about the Tudor clan, and
spouses, which is getting excellent reviews. So I've started to
collect them.

I finished reading "The Thirteenth Tale" yesterday so started
the above book "The Other Boleyn Girl" today. So far, it's an
easy read and quite good.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

Hi Judy: I just checked out [from the public library] Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier.

And, for your comment re. the Drawn Thread pattern, here are the details:

It is 192 x 192. The pattern calls for DMC floss: white, 221, 520, 522, 640, 676, 729, 844, 924, 926, 927, 3021, 3721, 3768, 3787. I do not know how many skeins of each color are needed as I only have 20 squares completed. I am using a 32 count lambswool linen & my cut is apx 18" x 18". I double checked & the pattern sells for $8.00 in the US. I don't know why it would take 3 months for you to receive it. That makes me sad.

I am nearly certain I'll still be working on it in three months!! The needlework store I use is called House of Stitches & they do mail order all the time. Good luck with the new books!!

I have not read the 13th tale [yet].

 
At 5:23 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

Hi GF:

Please ... PLEASE ... tell me about the doll in your photo! I think it looks very special.

I own some soft dolls made by Merry Makers. They are in the Colonial-style dress. I think one of them is on my blog post [from a day or two ago]. My inlaws visited Williamsburg, VA & picked them up for me.

I am about 1/4 to 1/3 thru Cold Mountain. I have not seen the movie, as I don't usually view movies. My entire family LOVES movies & I prefer books. I don't know why.

The main reason I wanted to start Cold Mountain, other it is on my 'list' -- is that there is another book out by the same Author. Thus, I wanted to read them in order. [such a book nerd].

I looked into audio books at the public library tho, because I don't get anything done sitting on the couch with my book(s)!!!

now that my game board sampler has about the same number houses & motifs -- I'm going back to the 2 squares per week + other stitching.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home